Saturday, November 13, 2010

slow-cooker turkey breast+corn casserole

After Halloween is over, I start getting the itch for Thanksgiving food. I usually can't wait until Thanksgiving for delicious turkey+sides, so we usually have a pre-thanksgiving meal a couple weeks before. One of my favorite things to make in the crock-pot is a whole turkey breast. It is incredibly easy and yummy:) If you are having a big crowd for Thanksgiving, this would be perfect if you wanted more white meat. Here is what I do:
1 whole turkey breast (I usually try to get one between 4-5 lbs)
3 tbsp melted butter
1 1/2 tsp of the following: dried parsley, dried thyme, salt, dried rosemary (I normally would use sage but we were out)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 onion, cut into wedges
***
1. Place the onion wedges on the bottom of your slow cooker.
2. Pat your turkey dry with paper towels and place on top of onions.
3. Lift up the skin of the breast and pour/rub melted butter all over. Rub spices/herbs under the skin on to the breast and pull the skin back over the breast.
4. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
***
One of my favorite sides is Paula Deen's corn casserole. I discovered this maybe 3 years ago and I always make it for Thanksgiving or any big potluck type meal. And it always flies off the plate...seriously it is like a treat almost. It is soooooo good and it only takes about 5 minutes to prepare (45 to bake), plus if your kiddos like to help out, this is a great one for them to help with because you just dump everything into the bowl. If I am making 2 pans, I make one with the cheese and one without. If I am making just 1 pan, I usually leave the cheese off...the one without the cheese usually disappears first:) Try it...I promise you will be asked to make this from now on:)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...