Tuesday, October 26, 2010

mmm...chili

So my chili yesterday was a success. A big one. I have been searching for a couple years for a recipe that says "This is the best chili ever," but I haven't found one (until now). I think it's because we all have different ideas of how chili should taste. So to me and the hubby, this is the best chili we have had:) I took 2 recipes+my own chili making experiences and came up with this:
*Chili*
Ingredients:
2 lbs ground beef
1 (29 oz) can tomato sauce
1 onion, chopped
1 (15.5 oz) can light red kidney beans
1 (15.5 oz) can dark red kidney beans
1 cup prepared salsa (I used Pace chunky medium)
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1 extra large or 2 med-large garlic cloves, minced
1 large tomato, cut into bite-sized chunks
4 tbsp chili seasoning (recipe for this follows)

  1. In a large skillet, brown the ground beef with the chopped onion. Drain the grease.
  2. Dump the beef, along with all of the other ingredients into a slow cooker and stir well to combine.
  3. Cook on high for 3 hours or low 6-8 hours.
  4. Top with desired toppings (sour cream, green onions, shredded cheddar cheese, tortilla chips, etc) and serve with cornbread...yum yum yum:)
*Chili Seasoning Recipe*
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
2 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp crushed red pepper
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp dried parsley
2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp dried basil
2 tsp white sugar

Store in an airtight container-makes enough for approximately 2 batches of chili.
***
Enjoy! Please let me know if you make this and tell me what you think!

4 comments:

Shel said...

Mmmm...I make a lot of chili and never thought to put salsa in it. The best chili I ever had was when I had an abundance of zucchini from the garden and decided to throw a couple into the chili. It added such a fab flavor!! I'll give yours a try too!

Rileysmom said...

Yum!!!! Think i will make this soon. You need to get your own show on HGTV or something!

rcprncss said...

This looks good....and easy! I like that! When I try it, I will let you know!

SnapScrapRepeat said...

I finally just made this! Everybody loved it - the perfect kind of spicy. I'm glad I could finally get back her and follow the directions!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...