Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Princess Leia costume and a candy tote bag

Aislynn is going to be Princess Leia this year for Halloween, so I ambitiously decided to make her costume. At first I bit off WAAAY more than I could chew. You see, I have never made anything with a commercial pattern or sewn with a knit fabric. This was so tricky. I used Simplicity Costume Pattern 2845 and the fabric I chose was a poly/cotton blend (the ponte knit fabric from Joann's). I used the angel version and left off the gold trim. For the belt, I measured how long it needed to be, added velcro and then sewed grey felt shapes on the front center. I got to a point in making this, and couldn't understand the pattern instructions so I just made up my own way how to do it (the sleeves were the worst part). All in all, I am satisfied how it came out (especially considering at one point I was going to toss it and just buy one). I will post a better picture of her wearing it when Halloween comes along in a few days. I am going to do her hair and she is going to wear a white turtleneck, white tights and white shoes underneath it.
I am such a novice in my sewing adventure and am happy this came out wearable. I love how every time I do a new project I learn something new and I am a teeny tiny bit closer to actually becoming a sewer and learning to sew straight:P
I also made her this tote bag and sewed felt letters on it to personalize it. Now she has somewhere to store her yummy treats that Mommy surely won't sneak in here and get some;) I used a pattern/instructions from an online class, but if you google-there are many places to tell you how to make a tote bag. Here is a good link: 35 Reusable Grocery Bags.

4 comments:

Shel said...

I am so proud of you!!! I never tried to sew, never learned and probably never will, but my mom used to make me clothes, costumes and Barbie clothes all the time!

What a great legacy for you to pass down to A (unless she turns out like me...heehee)!

SnapScrapRepeat said...

I think it is just darling (costume and tote!) and I can't wait to see her little up 'do and halloween smile!!!

I want to make more totes for the teachers I love (I'm thinking a thanksgiving project in time for x-mas!

Rileysmom said...

A's halloween costume looks almost exactly like the one i bought her. I think you did a great job!!!

rcprncss said...

Pam, you did a great job with the costume and cute halloween bag! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...